Monday 17 February 2014

Mint Julep

Ah, the Mint Julep. One of my favourite cocktails. 
It's simplicity, yet it evolves in taste whilst drinking it. When not knowing what's in it, there's actually a slight mystery around it. Obviously, the picture sort of reveals some of it, mint and ice. 

I have no clue why I ordered it the first time, but I do know it was in Cocktails at Nine in Antwerp.
Back when I went with Tom & Steve from The Old Fashioned Cocktail Bar in Ghent.
When I drank it, I didn't know what to think. Of course, the one I had in Antwerp was one with a twist. Never to be drunk by me again. I think there were bitters in there, loads of them. I'll never know, unless somebody else does, and decides to tell me! 


Anyway, after awhile it got in the back of my head until the guys from the Old Fashioned got silver cups. Ideal to keep the drink frosty, and lets not forget it looks fancy shmansy. Most of the time when people see the silver cup with mint as garnish, and some powder sugar for extra decor, they get curious. They all want to taste it, especially when I'm raving about it. 
Most of the people who taste it, tend to dislike it at first, maybe it's the bitterness in the beginning. That's when I always let them taste it, so they won't ask for another taste.

Now, I'm on a budget here, Oskar and me both actually. We can't afford fancy booze and we can't afford silver cups. We could afford mint. Decent mint.

The base of this cocktail is bourbon. Gin is used also, but not as commonly acknowledged.
At first we tried with Jack Daniels, 'cause that's what we had at the time. Though it wasn't ideal, none of the mystery was lost on me. It was what I hoped for.

It was clear though we could do better, so we tried with the Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Which it improved much more. 

In a later stadium, we'll use a better Bourbon, which will blow more than one sock off, I'm sure.

Everybody seems to have a different way of preparing it. Either way, it should only take about three minutes. Which makes it fun to drink at any time (even for breakfast, if that's your thing).

Here's what's in it and how I did it:

- Mint, about ten leafs. Big ones. 
- 1 cl of symple syrup. Muddle it, so you have a sort of mint infused sugarness. 
- Add chrushed ice. Don't quite fill it up.
- Bourbon. 5 cl should do the trick. When you add the bourbon you should see your ice melt, so make sure you have enough crushed ice for this one.
- Swizzle it with your swizzle stick.
- Top of with some more crushed ice. 
- Add a mint sprig for some garnish, maybe even some powdered sugar. 

There you have it, enjoy!

-x-
Niklas




No comments:

Post a Comment