Wednesday 14 May 2014

Sazerac

A few weeks ago, I was in a newly opened cocktailbar in Ghent. As we were chatting about cocktails and ingredients, he decided to borrow us one of his books: Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons. As I was checking it out, I saw some interesting recipes or both cocktails and homemade bitters. However, I still remained a bit sceptical. I mean, how can you write an entire book about bitters?


Since I started making cocktails, I always had a bottle of Angostura within hands reach but I guess I was never really aware of the effects of bitters on a cocktail. Last weekend I started reading this book, and ironically couldn't put it away anymore.

The first part of the book contained a brief history of bitters. In the first years bitters were produced, they were sold as medical tonics for all sorts of illness. People (mainly in the U.S.A.) where told to mix bitters with brandy or wine as a cure against hangovers. It wasn't until later however that bitters became essential in cocktails. Angostura for example were used in an Old-Fashioned during the Prohibition because the homemade bourbon or rye whisky couldn't be drunk without it. Later however, bitters became a victim of the prohibition as well. Many producers bankrupted and for a long time, the use of bitters was lost. So naturally, cocktails like the Old-Fashioned, the Manhattan and the Sazerac were lost.


Nowadays, there is a new revival of the use of bitters in the cocktailworld. A lot of new companies like The Bitter Truth, Bittermens, Regan's, ... popped up while old companies like Peychauds and Angostura are still in buisness. Bitters are being used again in cocktailbars and speak-easies all over the world so naturally, after reading this book, I upgraded our bitters collection as well.

I bought a bottle of Peychauds bitters, but didn't really know what to do with it. Until I stumbled on the recipe of the Sazerac and its history. This absolutely classic cocktail was born in New Orleans. In the Sewell Taylor's Sazerac Coffee House to be precise. At first cognac was used in the Sazerac but as during the Prohibition this became scarce in the U.S.A., the spirit of choice became rye whiskey. The other most important ingredient is Peychauds Bitters. These bitters were also produced in New Orleans in the apothecary of Antoine Amedie Peychaud in the French Quarter of the city. It is often said that the Sazerac was America's first cocktail.

After making and tasting it the first time, I was suprised by the different layers in the drink. There is the sourness of lemon oil, the freshness of anise and the complicated taste of rye whiskey an Peychauds bitters. With other words, I loved it.
So this is how I did it:


  • 6 ml of rye whiskey (Bulleit)
  • 0,8 ml of simple syrup
  • 4 generous dashes of Peychauds Bitters
  • a splash of Pernod Pastis (Absinth is also used)
  • a thick lemon peel

I used a spray to rinse the glass with Pernod but u can also roll the glass around with the pastis in it. Then, I added the rye whisky, simple syrup and Peychauds Bitters in a mixing glass with ice and stirred until everything was chilled, strained it in the coated glass and rubbed the rim of the glass with the lemon peel. This cocktail is served straight up so there is no ice in the glass. 


Cheers!

Oskar

No comments:

Post a Comment